FKA Twigs is unique in addition to its looks and style, but its creativity is unlike any other. She dances the fine line between bizarre and artistic, her music video concepts can be difficult to understand. In one video she is an Egyptian goddess, in another she is in bondage. It can be hard to keep up, but his talent speaks for itself. His music might not be your cup of tea, but his name is on the lips of a lot of people. I prefer her without the overdone makeup because she is a beautiful girl. I have included one of his best songs (in my opinion) at the bottom of the page that I think most people are going to like. I warn you now, if you don’t like alternative music and an open mind, this might not be for you, it’s pretty mysterious but we were able to uncover some facts about it.
1. FKA Twigs real name is Tahliah Debrett Barnett. She was born on January 16, 1988 in Gloucestershire, England. Her father is Jamaican and her mother is English and Spanish. Her mother was a former gymnast and dancer. She didn’t meet her father, who was a jazz dancer, until she was 18. She was raised by her mother and stepfather.
2. She attended a private Catholic school, St. Edward’s School, Cheltenham, on a scholarship. She came from a low income family.
3. She began to take an interest in music at the age of 16 and moved to London at 17 to pursue a dancing career. She moved there on her own, sometimes working three or four jobs to support herself. In her early twenties, she performed as an auxiliary dancer in music videos for Kylie Minogue, Ed Sheeran, Taio Cruz and Jesse J.
4. She earned the name of Twigs for the way her joints crack. She added “FKA” to her name when another artist who also called themselves Twigs complained.
5. FKA Twigs’ genre of music is described as trip hop, experimental, alternative R&B and electronic. She loves to experiment with different sounds. She is a singer, songwriter, producer, dancer and now music video director. She sings, plays keyboards, synthesizer and drums. She co-produced all the songs from her debut album.
6. She self-released her first EP1 on Bandcamp on December 4, 2012. She also filmed a video for each song.
7. She received the BBC Sound Award of 2014 and was chosen by Spotify for their Spotlight on 2014 list. She was featured on 14 Billboard Artists to Watch in 2014, she is Grammy nominated, Brit Award nominated and she won a YouTube Music Award. She even directed and starred in a commercial for Google Glass.
8. His first musical influences were Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald and Marvin Gaye.
9. She had her big break at a bondage party, when she met Tic Zogson, an A&R representative on the Young Turks label.
10. She is currently dating Twilight star Robert Pattinson since August 2014. She has been the subject of a lot of cyberbullying from die-hard Twilight fans.